Download the PowerSaver Buyer's Guide

Do you want to make energy efficient upgrades to your house to save on your monthly utility bills? You could even get closing costs paid (an average of about $2,000) on the mortgage!

The PowerSaver Grant from FHA can help home buyers and homeowners make eligible energy-efficient upgrades to a house, and qualify for closing costs to get paid by AmeriFirst Home Mortgage. This buyer's guide walks you through the process, so you can decide whether the PowerSave Grant is right for you

Download the PowerSaver Buyer's Guide

Daily Articles Emailed

Your email:

We're Social!

The AmeriFirst Blog | Your Home Buying Resource Center

Current Articles | RSS Feed RSS Feed

Refinance and Remodel with the FHA 203k


refinance remodel fha 203kImagine buying your first home and watching your family outgrow it. All those memories you're making make leaving the home difficult. You don’t have to leave it, even as your family grows. Did you know that as your family grows, so can your home? The FHA 203k is a home improvement loan that can help you finance repairs, upgrades and renovations right into the mortgage. It can cover simple repairs all the way up to structural upgrades. With the Full 203k you can add bedrooms or bathrooms, expand a kitchen or dining room or even add a second story to the home!

The Full (or Standard) FHA 203k covers home improvement projects that will change the structure of your home. You can literally “pop a top” on your ranch house and double your square footage if an appraiser can find similar homes – called comparables – in the area. Adding onto a home like this means you can increase your area much cheaper than of you were to sell the home and buy new, or build a home from scratch.

You can use the Full 203k when the home improvements exceed $35,000 (the max amount for the 203k Streamline) or when you need to make structural repairs. There must be a minimum of $5,000 worth of repairs. FHA loan limits are based on property type and location of the property being financed. A portion of the loan proceeds are used to pay off the existing mortgage in a refinance. The remaining funds are placed in an escrow account and released as rehabilitation is completed. You may also roll in up to six months of mortgage payments if the HUD consultant determines you need to be displaced from the home during the repairs, as you might be in the case of a major renovation.

You can make the following repairs and renovations to your home with the Full 203k:

Structural alterations and reconstruction:

  • Room additions
  • Repair of termite damage (sill plate replacement)
  • Major remodeling of kitchens and bathrooms
  • Finish an attic or basement
  • Add a second story to a home

Major landscaping and site improvement:

  • Correction of grading
  • Drainage problems
  • Tree removal (health and safety hazard)
  • Repair of sidewalks (health and safety hazard)
  • Driveway repair (health and safety hazard)

Armed with this information, you can see how homeowners can refinance and remodel with the FHA 203k. Yes, this means you'll have to refinance your current mortgage. But it's a better situation than trying to figure out how to use the current equity you may or may not have in your home. The FHA 203k option is based on the future value of the home once the work you're financing is completed.

Download "The Complete Guide to Spring Home Imporovement Financing" at the button below. The free eBook takes you through home improvements you can do yourself, and others you might "need help" with. Get your copy today.


(Old house photo: Flickr user Robin Zebrowski)


i have a home that need to be renovated it was left to me from my parents so there is equity in the home but my credit is not good
Posted @ Wednesday, February 05, 2014 9:15 AM by wanda taylor
Wanda - if you'd like to talk to an AmeriFirst mortgage consultant to see what options you may have, follow this link: 
Posted @ Wednesday, February 05, 2014 9:24 AM by Dan Moyle
we arelooking to refinance our home we have no mortgage we need a new driveway basement wall new gutters and doors and fencing
Posted @ Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:38 PM by mary pfa;zer
Mary - those improvements may be eligible for financing in a mortgage like the Full FHA 203k. Check with your local lender on whether they offer the Full 203k loan. Best of luck!
Posted @ Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:58 AM by Dan Moyle
owe $33,000 on first mortgage house estimated at 53,000 need to replace cellar sall and roof does this meet 203(K) requirements
Posted @ Monday, June 02, 2014 4:04 PM by jeri
Jeri - it's possible that your situation could be financed with the 203k loan. I would suggest talking to a mortgage consultant in your area about your particular needs to ensure it's a good fit. You can find one of our folks at our office locator here 
Thanks for the great question!
Posted @ Wednesday, June 04, 2014 8:39 AM by Dan Moyle
Post Comment
Website (optional)

Allowed tags: <a> link, <b> bold, <i> italics

Most Popular Posts

Latest Posts

Blog Directory Listings

MI Mortgage Brokers and Loan Officers

Real Estate Blogs Directory - Directory of real estate blogs and blogs of industries affiliated with and serving the real estate industry.

AmeriFirst Home Mortgage
950 Trade Centre Way, Suite 400 Kalamazoo, MI 49002
Phone: 800.466.5626
NMLS ID 110139
A Division of AmeriFirst Financial Corp.
Equal Housing Lender