This is an article submitted by a guest author. Not all views expressed are those of AmeriFirst Home Mortgage or its employees.
After a long winter we all get excited with the first signs of spring, trees are budding, spring bulb flowers are growing and it seems like everyone is outside. After being cooped indoors for the last few months people would rather spend as much time enjoying the nice weather as possible, but there are a few things to consider before you spend every minute of your day out and about.
Instinctively people starts to prepare themselves for the new season, with a new haircut, new wardrobe, lighter diet and so on, but you should not forget about your home, as your home is the starting place of love, hope and dreams.
Spring is the best time of year to repair the damages the winter might have caused to your home and it is a good time of year to prepare your loving home against the harsh summer sunlight and heat.
It is best to do a home exterior check up before you start your interior changes:
1) Make sure your gutters are clean, this should be done at least twice yearly. You can ream down gunk in the downspout with a garden hose and if you see for instance loose granules it might be a sign of a spoilt asphalt roof that needs replacing.
2) Inspect your roof for missing shingles and cracked caulk around pipe collars. If you are afraid of heights you can call in an expert or if you would like to inspect yourself, use binoculars or a smartphone camera to zoom in.
3) Repair paint, because exposed wood can rot.
4) Trim branches of trees 5 - 7 feet away from your home, because they conduct moisture onto the roof and sidings. This will also discourage wildlife to nest in the attic.
5) Check the vendor's along the foundation of your house and clean them by hand or vacuum. Small holes should be repaired to keep mice and rats out.
6) Give your garden furniture a new varnish, plant some seeds and invest in some solar lights for your garden to make your summer nights even brighter!
Ones you know outside is done and you have money left in your budget, you can enjoy making some interior changes. With each new season comes new trends on the market that can help you improve your home on the inside for that summer feel, but not everyone can afford buying new every time.
There are simple changes one can make that will give you that new season look! It would be smart to start with a decent spring clean, your windows for examples are the only place where the sun can shine through, therefore making sure they sparkle! Hanging light colored curtains will allow for more sunlight in your home. Rearranging furniture will make all the difference and upgrading your hardware by changing the knobs on your cupboards and closets can do wonders if you wish to add some color or different textures. Bring nature inside by keeping fresh flowers or pebbles in faces and fresh fruits and light scented candles can help your home smell summery!
Summer is a time to enjoy with friends and family, therefore you should make spring, that time of year to make these home improvements or at least plan them. Take in that new and refreshed energy that comes with spring and make some changes!
Author Bio: Matt Reilly is an operations manager and home improvement DIY design writer working for Reilly Roofing and Gutters, TXs. He is a promoter of sustainable living, both on a large scale; particularly green roofing and solar energy, and through the use of eco-friendly technology in everyday life.